We live in a smart world, smartphones, smart TVs, smart refrigerators, smart cars, smart everything. Why aren’t people getting divorced the smart way? Getting a smart divorce in California means taking the time to understand your options and make informed decisions about your future. It also means being prepared to negotiate and compromise, as well as to put your emotions aside.
If divorce is inevitable, now more than ever, couples should recognize the benefits of getting a “smart divorce” as opposed to the old and archaic way of divorcing.
Here are some tips for getting a smart divorce in California:
- Understand your options. There are two main types of divorce in California: uncontested and contested. An uncontested divorce is one in which both spouses agree on all terms of the divorce, including child custody, child support, and property division. A contested divorce is one in which the spouses disagree on at least one of these issues.
If you are able to get an uncontested divorce, it will be much faster and less expensive than a contested divorce. However, if you and your spouse cannot agree on all of the terms of the divorce, you will need to go to court.
- Be prepared to negotiate. Even if you are getting an uncontested divorce, you will still need to negotiate with your spouse on some issues. For example, you will need to agree on how to divide your property and how much child support each of you will pay.
It is important to be prepared to negotiate in good faith. This means being willing to give and take and being respectful of your spouse’s needs.
- Put your emotions aside. Divorce can be a very emotional time, but it is important to put your emotions aside when making decisions about your future. This means being willing to make decisions that are in the best interests of your children and yourself, even if they are not the decisions you would have made if you were not getting divorced.
- Get legal advice. It is important to get legal advice from an experienced divorce attorney. As a Pasadena divorce attorney, Leslie can help you understand your rights and obligations and can also help you negotiate a fair divorce settlement.
- Take care of yourself. Getting divorced can be a very stressful time, so it is important to take care of yourself. This means eating healthy, getting enough sleep, and exercising regularly. It also means spending time with friends and family who support you.
Getting a divorce is never easy, but it can be a lot easier if you are prepared.
Going to court is the old-school way of getting divorced. Stay out of court and save thousands of dollars on attorney fees for court appearances, and avoid having to take off work to appear in court. When you go to court (the old-school way), judges decide what you should do with your money, property, and kids. But you’re a smart person living in a smart world. So make smart decisions. Don’t let lawyers and judges boss you around. As a divorce lawyer in Pasadena, I want you to know that you have options, and the opportunity is here for a simpler, better, smarter, and more cost-effective way to get divorced. It’s all in the palm of your hand.
You can read my post on how to get divorced without leaving your home here.
Make the right call: Amicable Divorce Services for more information.